We are located 3 miles from Western Carolina University. Many students wish to adopt a pet, though many do not have the resources and ability to care for a pet properly. We require all potential adopters to show proof of permission to have a pet from the landlord and proof of paid pet deposit if required. A parent/guardian is required to accompany students to adopt a cat who is willing to sign a contract that they will care for the cat should your circumstances change. Catman2 has decided to instate this policy in light of many pets being abandoned at various student housing complexes nearby. College is a transitional time where one’s living and financial situation can change often – adopting a pet is a commitment to that animal for his/her lifetime. We feel this is a reasonable policy to ensure the future of our cat is bright.
Thank you for choosing to adopt. Catman2 strives to do everything in our power to match people with the cat of their dreams. We want our cats to go to forever homes where they will be loved, cared for, and receive the best care for the rest of their lives.
Catman2 reserves the right to refuse an adoption without explanation. We fiercely love our feline friends and are committed to them for life.
I'm Interested in Adoption - Now What?
- Fill out an application here and wait for a follow up e-mail from our adoption coordinator. Applications cannot usually be processed on weekends or holidays, and usually take 1-2 days to process. It takes just a few minutes to fill out.
- Make an appointment to come to the shelter and adopt!
- Have a pet taxi or crate
- We accept cash or check - the adoption fee is $60. We appreciate donations in excess of the adoption fee.
Things to Consider Before Adopting a Cat
- Cats need a good, nutritious diet. We recommend that you feed your adopted cat Purina Cat Chow and Friskies canned food, as that is the diet to which (s)he has been accustomed while living at our shelter. Diet changes should be made gradually. You get what you pay for – many brands are full of filler and lack the nutrition your cat needs. We recommend The Pet Stop in Sylva for higher quality foods.
- Choosing the right cat litter for you and your cat can be tricky and also adds to the monthly costs of sharing your life with a cat. Are you willing to clean your cat’s litter box daily?
- Unless otherwise agreed upon, we want most of our cats to go to indoor-only homes. Indoor cats live longer and healthier lives. Are your windows/screens/doors secure enough to keep your cat from slipping outside?
- Do you have hazardous materials properly secured? Cats seem to get into everything! Medicines, certain house plants, chemicals, etc. all need to be kept away from your new cat.
- Cats need a scratching post. You can get fancy with a big cat tree or keep it simple with a small rug or cardboard scratcher (added catnip optional). You will sign a contract that states that you will not declaw your cat. Provide him or her with a proper place to scratch.
- Cats need to be seen regularly by a veterinarian. What if your cat gets sick or hurt? Will you be able to afford his or her veterinary care? Will you take him/her for a physical each year? For vaccine updates?
- Monthly flea prevention is necessary but does cost extra money. Are you able to provide monthly flea prevention to keep your cat comfortable and flea/parasite free?
- It costs roughly $600-$2,000 per year to be a responsible cat owner. Can you afford that? Will you be able to afford that for the lifetime of your cat?
- Most cats thrive on attention from their people. Are you willing to devote time each day to your new cat? Adopting two cats is recommended so that they can keep each other company while you do whatever it is that humans do when they are not petting their cats.
Call during business hours to make an appointment to meet the cat of your dreams! 828-293-0892
Hours of operation:
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Monday - 9am-5pm
Tuesday - 9am-5pm
Wednesday - CLOSED
Thursday - 9am-5pm
Friday - 9am-5pm
Saturday - CLOSED - Spay/neuter sign-ups at ARF from 1pm-3pm
Sunday - 9am-5pm